On November 19, 2018, the OffPeak program that provides extended gate hours at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, commonly known as PierPASS 2.0, will take effect.
PierPASS 2.0 includes a new appointment-based system that uses a single flat fee on both daytime and nighttime container moves. This system replaces the current congestion-pricing model, which includes the Traffic Mitigation Fee (TMF) charged on daytime moves. (Source: www.pierpass.org/)
Highlighted changes included in PierPass 2.0 are as follows:
Appointments Required for All Import Container Pickups
- Beginning November 19th, all marine container terminals at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach will require appointments.
- Appointments are to be made through the terminal systems, not through PierPASS.
- Terminal appointment system information can be found at http://wcmtoa.org/appointment-systems/.
Flat TMF Across All Hours
The TMF previously charged only on Peak (weekday daytime) cargo moves will be replaced by a reduced fee that is constant across all hours and days of operation.
- Beginning Nov 19th, the new TMF will be $31.52 per TEU (twenty-foot container).
- The new TMF for all other size containers will be $63.04.
No Change in Type of Containers Subject to TMF
The following moves will remain exempt from the TMF:
- Empty containers
- Rail intermodal containers
- Transshipped containers (cargo that arrives at the Port of Los Angeles or Long Beach on one vessel and leaves on a second vessel without entering U.S. commerce)
- Domestic cargo
- Bare chassis
Common Two-Hour Appointment Windows and Last Appointment Times
The appointment window—the time span between the earliest and latest times a truck can arrive for an appointment, including grace periods—will be two hours for all appointments.
At all terminals, the last appointment times of the day will be:
- 3:30 PM on the first shift
- 1:30 AM on the second shift
If not registered, you can register with PierPASS here.
For more information about the program, access the PierPASS Q&A here.