Whether it’s ever-fluctuating tariffs, evolving trade agreements, new regulations or annual updates to the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, the trade industry is constantly changing. You need confidence that you’re equipped with accurate information, so you can exercise the reasonable care and proper import documentation necessary to avoiding potentially serious financial consequences, seizures of cargo or even criminal-level penalties.
Our services include:
- ACE Portal setup and training
- Compliance audits
- Customs audit prep
- Program development and manuals
- HTS classification
- Prior disclosure submissions
- Binding ruling requests
- Marking and labeling
Change to ACE Portal Setup and training
We’ll be your window to the ACE Portal.
A commercial trade processing system developed by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the ACE Portal is designed to serve as the window through which international traders can electronically provide all information needed by federal agencies for the import of cargo. As the capabilities of the ACE Portal continue to grow, it’s increasingly important for you to familiarize yourself with the system and how it works.
With this in mind, MGTA offers a number of services related to the ACE Portal, including training on how to:
- Apply online
- Navigate the portal
- Run reports on your import data, including ISF progress reports
- Add new users and administer cross account access
- Use the portal’s reference tools, such as antidumping/countervailing
- Duty search
- Enroll and use periodic monthly statements
- Link to your export data
Import Compliance Audits
Discover where you’re most at risk for noncompliance.
Our Compliance Audits put your import operations under the microscope to uncover gaps in your company’s Customs compliance processes and transactional records. When we’re finished, you’ll receive a gap analysis report with our recommendations for improvement, allowing you to elevate your rate of compliance and reduce your risk of exposure to government penalties and fines.
Our Comprehensive Audit encompasses all areas of your import compliance program. It begins with your company structure, analyzing management commitment and identifying resources.
From there, we conduct an in-depth audit of your import process, which includes reviews of:
- Entry documentation
- Process flow
- Receiving process
- Returned goods process
- Internal controls and monitoring
- Tariff classification
- Trade preference, free trade agreements and duty reduction programs
- Country of origin
As well as:
- Development of SOPs
- On-site training
- Written gap analysis report with recommendations for improvement
Area Specific Audits
These audits are limited in scope and can be combined to suit your needs.
- Guidance on required records
- Review of your recordkeeping processes
- Assistance with correcting written procedures for recordkeeping
- Development of record retention, storage and destruction procedures
- Guidance on determining the correct method to use
- Review of your valuation processes and procedures, as well as detection of discrepancies
- Assistance with correcting written procedures for valuation
- Development of comprehensive valuation processes and procedures
- Verification that the correct values were declared to Customs on invoices and other commercial documents
Country of Origin and Marking
- Guidance for country of origin determinations
- Review of country of origin marking
- Assistance with updating process for review of marking requirements
Customs Audit Prep
Whether it’s a quick response or full-blown regulatory audit, our skilled and experienced import compliance team can help you survive a Customs audit. We provide proper guidance to help you prepare for an impending audit, and expert support to assist in developing comprehensive responses to CBP’s questions. No need to panic – just contact us and we’ll help make your upcoming audit as painless as possible.
Program Development and Manuals
Programs designed with your business in mind.
A strong import compliance program starts with a solid, sturdy foundation. Your program won’t save you from Customs’ penalties and fines if it fails to address critical procedures for auditing your entry records, or neglects staff training protocols for proper record retention and destruction.
That’s where Mohawk Global Trade Advisors comes in. Our compliance experts have years of practical experience dealing with government regulations for importers and imported goods. We know what it takes to build an effective and manageable import compliance program.
- Review and analysis of your existing import compliance program, which includes discovering gaps
- Written import compliance manuals customized to your business model
- Individual policies and procedures for classification, documentation, valuation, recordkeeping, free trade agreements and more
- Checklists, templates, forms and other tools to help your staff easily manage and maintain standard processes
- Training in all aspects of compliance for your key import staff
Are you struggling to classify your products? We can help. Our on-staff licensed Customs brokers have the experience and skill to classify goods in a wide variety of industries. MGTA will work with you to classify your products, or we’ll review your new and current classifications for accuracy and help you manage your classification database.
Prior Disclosure Submissions
A successful prior disclosure can limit your penalty liabilities, but it can also be complicated. MGTA’s team will work closely with your in-house or outside counsel, providing comprehensive research, drafting recommendations, preparing tenders and documenting extensions — all prior to the start of a formal investigation by Customs. Contact us now for a free price quote.
Binding Ruling Requests
Binding ruling requests are necessary when you need a definitive answer from Customs on classification, origin, marking or trade agreements. Such requests are very time-consuming to prepare, as they require in-depth research and sample information from the importer about the product in question. MGTA specializes in preparing binding ruling requests that conform to the letter of the law and ensure a timely response from Customs. Call us today to learn more about binding ruling requests for your company.
Marking and Labeling
A product’s country of origin can affect its duty rates, trade program eligibility, admissibility, quota and marking requirements. Did you know that there are many exceptions to country of origin marking requirements for imports? Or that textiles, drugs, medical equipment, cosmetics and many other commodities have special labeling requirements? Let our team of professionals guide you through this complex area of Customs law. Contact us today for more details.
Import Compliance Training
Learn from the best with import compliance training.
Educate your staff and strengthen your company’s import compliance with our on-site training sessions. All sessions include reference material, information handouts and certificates of completion for all participants.Training sessions